TTI Management Committee Update 5 June 2020

05 June 2020

Work was completed several weeks ago on a 'Protocols for Return to Play' document, both for Association activities, and also for easy adoption by Clubs around the country.  This document has been with Sport Ireland for some weeks, and we are hopeful that table tennis will be included in ‘Phase 3’, or earlier, of the Government of Ireland ‘Roadmap for Reopening Society & Business’.  Phase 3 is currently scheduled to come into effect on Monday 29 June.

Return to organised table tennis activity will, as with all other areas of Society, be contingent on progress made in limiting the numbers of people exposed to illness.  As such, even when conditions allow a general return to table tennis, such return will be based on the limitations and guidelines laid down by the Association.  Such general return may also suffer limiting factors around, for example, geography, facilities or age demographic, depending on specific circumstances that may impact on some clubs or regions more than others, and which may necessitate delays or deferrals due to those local conditions.

Internationally, most other countries remain under some level of domestic constraint regarding table tennis, and indeed most sport.  International competition has also been impacted, with the ETTU still proposing Autumn dates for the European Championships qualifiers, as well as for the European Youth Championships; while the ITTF is hopeful of a return, in the final quarter of 2020, of the international tournament circuits.  The 2020 World Championships in Busan, postponed from earlier this year, will now likely take place in 2021, with the ITTF calendar for 2021 to be restructured in light of the postponement of that event and of the Olympic Games.

Work continues on the new season TTI Calendar, as well as on the Club Handbook, as previously advised.

Work is also ongoing by the Volunteer Remuneration Committee, while the work of the Strategy Committee will be recommencing next week.

Planning for the online trial of a Coaching Conference is also underway, as is ongoing contact with Coaching Ireland and our tutors regarding the possible online delivery of various Modules of the Level 1 Coach Course.

Separately, the Board is also working with the Referees and Umpires Committee on details around planning the delivery of Umpire Qualification and CPD courses.

Subject to external complications, TTI are currently planning for an August return to competitive activity, and hope to resume competition by running the 2020 National Championships.  The Management Committee in February decided to trial the suspension, for the remainder of the 19/20 season, the minimum entry requirements for the allocation of full ranking points for all senior events, and this trial will continue for the postponed National Championships.

As with many organisations and companies, planning for our sport remains challenging due to various uncertainties regarding activities and facilities, however we continue to work to agree as early a return date as possible, for as many members as possible, and we will continue to keep you updated.

For, and on behalf of, the Management Committee.



comments powered by Disqus

Return to News